A lot of moving companies are asked to get rid of items during household moves. This can be somewhat of an issue, because it is not really their responsibility to do this. Furthermore, only very few of the movers Alexandria VA is home to are waste disposal specialists as well. But besides this, you may just be throwing away some really precious treasures!
Over the past 10 to 15 years, the internet is used more and more to sell things. Alongside that, we have seen an explosion in interest in television programs where antiques and other finds are sold. Today, people are more aware than ever of the fact that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. It may look like junk, therefore, but it may actually have some value. So what are some of the things you should look for during your next house move?
Top Treasure Tips
Always keep aside any:
- Old iron objects. Think rusty old radiators, decorative plaques, ranges, and fireplaces for instance. These are classed as ‘architectural antiques’ and could be worth quite a lot of money.
- Appliances and gadgets from the 60s and 70s. Things like plastic lamp shades, plastic chairs, stereo systems, and lamps from that era are in very high demand. The trend is known as ‘20th century design’ and people pay good money for them.
- Garden ornaments and furniture. Things like old metal tables and chairs, toadstool seats, animal statues, and old concrete urns are really desirable. The ‘shabby chic’ craze is all about updating these old items. They won’t bring you in a lot of money, but definitely some.
- Old clothes. Remember the 1980s and their hideous shoulder pads? That’s classed as ‘vintage’ right now. And the bell bottoms seen in the 60s and 70s are the height of fashion once again. Do make sure the clothes are in good condition and give them a wash. There are people out there who want them.
- Old tools. This is a trickier one, because those tools need to be really old. Think late 19th century up to the middle of the 20th century, when tools were made mainly from steel and iron. They may be a bit rusty right now, but if you still have them today, they will have been made to the highest possible standards and they are true collectors’ items.
- Transport. You’re unlikely to have an old vintage car in your attic or garage, but what about a vintage bike? Even if your bike is from the 70s or 80s, they could get you quite a bit of money.
- Toys. Last but not least, you would be surprised at how money you can get from old toys, even if they were from the 80s and 90s. If you have any half-decent tin robots from the 60s, you may just gather enough money to pay for your removal company in one go! Other popular items include early computer games and board games, for instance.
Incoming search terms:
- moving home